City of Pana

swimming.jpg (50024 bytes)

City Parks

     Kitchell Park  This massive 40 acre jewel was given to Pana by Capt. John W. Kitchell and his wife Mary Little Kitchell in 1908.  Kitchell Park is also the home of a prized round Chautauqua Pavilion built in 1911. Speakers during those days included William Jennings Bryan, World War I hero Sergeant York, Billy Sunday, and other noted speakers and entertainers.     

 

     The Schuyler bridge was built in 1910, and is completely made of concrete.

newentrance.jpg (60004 bytes)

 

     The ornate Main Gate was the entrance booth for the Tri-County Fair, which was held here from 1885 until it was moved to the present fairgrounds around 1949.
     Part of the old horse track is still one of the main roads in the park. History has it, Frank James of the infamous "James Gang" was the starter and timekeeper in his later years after he was pardoned by Missouri authorities. Visitors may take advantage of the tennis courts, softball and baseball diamonds, swimming pool, playgrounds, and picnic area. Kitchell Park is one of few parks listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

     The auditorium was a result of a 6 1/2 inch rainfall which fell during the Chautauqua of 1910. It was felt if the   Chautauqua were to survive, suitable shelter had to be provided. The auditorium at the time of construction was deemed one of the most modern in the country with seating capacity of 3500. The stage measured 35x45 feet. In 1955, the auditorium was completely renovated through a project sponsored by the Pana Lions Club. A concrete floor, new paint, rewiring and the installation of 24 overhead lights rounded out the project.

Pana is also blessed with two other smaller parks

     .  Welburn Park serves the Northeast part of town with playground and picnic areas.  

    Kehias Park serves the Northwest sector of the city with playgrounds, a picnic pavilion, a ball diamond, and a tennis court.

Attractions